GAT'sfamily

Our family: Mom, Dad, 5yr old, 2yr old, and very large, but friendly dog in N. KY

Friday, June 10, 2005

I'm a Gardner now!

Ok, that may be streaching it, but if 10 years ago anyone would have told me I'd be taking pride in a patch of dirt that my 4yr old and I literally tossed some old potatoes into I'd have laughed in their face.

But yes this is what my big excitement is now. I wasn't even going to plant the big garden since we had a few other projects come up, like the sewer that had trucks driving over it. However yesterday my neighbor came over and offered me some squash, zucchini, and cherry tomato plants they had left over. So this morning the kids and I dug up the garden, and planted them...Ok, well I did while the kids splashed in their pool, but hey they started helping.

So in case you haven't yet gathered that I have a complete lack of knowledge in this area I included a photo of the weed patch. Yesterday I had to have my neighbor come over and tell me if anything was a flower in there or if I can just have hubby weedwack the whole thing and start the area over. Apparently it's mostly all weeds, although one is a pretty fern like one she wants a cutting of. We also have Poke, which while a weed is edible and akin to spinach (I'll be researching how to cook that later, I felt dumb enough with out asking her). Oh and the plant climbing the fence is the one intended plant, honey-suckle.

And for the potato experiment? While I was every so proudly showing those off to the neighbor (hey they're growing and they're big!) she asked me if I had cut all the eyes out and how far apart they were planted (they seem a little close) I had to confess that I had #1 dig holes and toss them in mostly on his own where he felt they should go.

Stay tuned, I'll post updates as the season progresses, I know your all at the edge of your seats and taking bets on how quickly I'll kill them all!

P.S. I won't be making/eating Poke anytime soon. For one thing ours is too old/big and for another it can be poisionous if not prepared correctly...um yeah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home