GAT'sfamily

Our family: Mom, Dad, 5yr old, 2yr old, and very large, but friendly dog in N. KY

Monday, February 26, 2007

One more reason I love Hubby

A few weeks ago I came across this Blog. It's written by an American who was volunteering in an Ethiopian orphanage run by an international adoption agency. I found it very interesting so I started reading at the beginning of the archives and read it all the way through. Now where most people who found it as fascinating as I did would probably go to the AAI website and possibly choose to send money in one of their subscription programs (which was my first step, and I even received a hand written thank you) most are not going to become obsessed out of the blue with the idea that we need to adopt 2 older children (No older then #1, I'm not ready to parent a preteen yet) from Ethiopia. This is where the I love Hubby part comes in. He the "rational" person in our marriage, and instead of telling me I'm insane, he said that if I really am feeling this strongly drawn to it mabey there is a reason.

Now I have NO idea how we will afford this, or when we will be able to do this (Hubby is suppose to be going back to school soon), but I have done a TON of research on it, short of contacting the agencies for information besides fees lists, and know it's something I want to do. I even read what is touted in online forums as "the must have book on the AIDS crisis, history, and politics of Ethiopia, and the reason for the huge numbers of orphans, and abandoned children." I've look at all the pros and tried to seek out all the cons, which are surprisingly few compared to adopting children from other area's or through CPS (which I have wanted to do for years, but we've decided that it's not something we can do while our children are still young).

So now I sit and wait, till we figure out what DH is going to do for school (he's waiting on the university to get back to him about transfers. If they never do, or don't transfer enough he'll be going the expensive online route.) and, try to find a spare $15,000-$25,000 laying around in our house and bank accounts, and go from there.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:09 AM, Blogger Me said…

    I don't think you are crazy at all. I have been searching the foster parent sites (in America) for about 5 years and I think possibly foster parenting and/or adoption could happen.

    I actually have to STOP myself from searching our states foster parent programs because I'm ready and willing to do it right NOW and yet I know it's not the right time for our family yet.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home