GAT'sfamily

Our family: Mom, Dad, 5yr old, 2yr old, and very large, but friendly dog in N. KY

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

A week of Battles

The first major battle I'm fighting this week is BLOGGER!!! For whatever, and who knows what reason (certainly not me. I can't even figure out how to add links, or blogrolls to my pate) I cannot comment. I can post, but it is refusing to let me comment on anyone's blogs. So even though it is rare that I comment, I am still reading all my normal blogs even if you don't hear from me.

The second is the fireplace. We have a wonderful fireplace with a wonderful wood burning insert that can help us keep down our heating bills. Well at least I imagine it would if we could get a fire to burn without smoking out the entire house. (and yes the flume is open!) now I would blame the fireplace, but when I buy cheater logs ( you know the light the paper and forget it kind of fires) it does just fine....but with real wood, we've had one disaster after another. I finally figured out the biggest part of my problem is that I wanted to build sophisticated fires, when sadly all I have in firebuilding training is camp fires. I've tried and tried to use the rack, putting the kindling underneath and the larger pieces on top of it. Nothing. The kindling burns and the logs smoke. I've tried making a "bed" for the kindling to sit on ON the rack, and I end up with burnt pieces of wood that won't flame. Last night I realized the folly in these attempts. I've never been trained. Today I took the rack out and built a fire on the floor of the insert, and I got a fire! Yes there is smoke in the house, but it's not horrible, and it's a fairly warm day to have the doors open. Unlike my last attempt. And I only received one bleeding wound from stabbing my wrist with a piece of sharp wood.

The third battle (because you know they come in threes) is alluded to in the second. I'm apparently subconsciously out to kill myself. In addition to my puncture wound, I have 6 other scrapes or cuts on my hand (from battle number 2) I've burnt myself cooking twice, and last week I fell down the stairs with a basket full of laundry because SOMEBODY when asked to change laundry thought that ment "leave the dirty peed on blankets on the stairs for my wife to slip and fall on so I can collect the life insurance" Little did he know I was doing enough on that front myself this week.

In other news around our house. #1 got his second report card and is doing AWESOME if I might say so. Only real problems he got an AC (area of concern, I guess the P.C. of an F) are writing his last name, knowing Birthday (I asked and he knows how to spell the name, and his B-day) and tying his shoes. Um yeah there's a reason he wears velcro. I guess to me that's small compared to the fact they have the kids reading and spelling already. In Kindergarten.

Our car died. Well it's in the driveway and if we choose to spend over $1500 we can have it running again, but since it's worth less that that actually running we're feeling it's not the best idea. Hubby has his heart set on buying a moped for his work "vehical" and we've talked to someone selling year end models. We'll be going and looking at them this weekend. Hubby took the written test and got the endorsement on his license just in case. I've reasoned it out that if he only drives it 12 months it will pay itself off in gas, and here you can use it 6 months out of the year. And since hubby rarely buys anything for himself I want him to get it. We'll worry about a car for him next winter. I only need it 2 days a week this year (I've been bringing him to work) but next year will be 3 days a week I need to cart #2 to school, and that's a little much. Plus after I pay for our yearly circle trip to NE and MN, and a week to NY with a co-worker (we're staying with her sister) we'll have my entire check going to a car fund. Mabey I can buy it in 10 years!!!

#1 started Tae Kwon Do last week, and I'm not sure if he liked it or not. I do think it will be good for him as it's all about following directions, which he needs to work on. We'll see how this week goes.

And now I really need to stop procrastinating and figure out supper for tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home