GAT'sfamily

Our family: Mom, Dad, 5yr old, 2yr old, and very large, but friendly dog in N. KY

Monday, December 05, 2005

Let's debate shall we?

Today as I was surfing the internet while my 2 occasional daycare kids were sound asleep, and my 2 were wide awake, but in their rooms, I came across this article about if there should be "No Kid Zone's" .

Basically (if you're too tired, lazy, or short on time to read it) a Cafe owner put up a sign saying Children have to behave and use inside voices. As you can well imagine this has created some controversy.

Personally I love it. As a parent of 2 sometimes (ok most of the time) obnoxious children, I love the idea of grown up places. I guess the fact is that all kids will act up in public, some more then other's, but it's the parents responsibility to DO something about it. I guess for me I've put my own restrictions on where I will bring my children. Like I will not bring them into the store I work at after they had a meltdown in front of the entire sales floor staff and store manager, but we do eat at restaurants that "cater" to kids. Mainly if it has a slide, a drive through, or (my favorite) the Gyro place near us that has a bunch of toys and the owner's occasionally acting up 3yr old in a corner.

maybe I've just seen too many kids walk in the store I work at having a tantrum, walk all the way through the store with a tantrum, and continue the tantrum as the parent's leave the store seemingly oblivious to it, and take their own sweet time shopping.

There is the other side to this. The few times I get away from my children, with or without hubby, I like to not listen to other people's children. I try to choose places that are not exactly child friendly, but nonetheless someone always decides to bring a child that cannot handle it into the establishment. I say the child cannot handle because I know of some people (although I've yet to meet them) who have children that are able to act according to standards that would be unthinkable for my own children.

So I guess my question is, if you went into the above cafe, would you be offended, walk out and never go back, or say cool, and grab your late before you kid starts to scream, take off and go back later some day when you decide to dump you're little ur um angel's on you're hubby or some other unsuspecting person.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:26 PM, Blogger Kami said…

    Wow, this is a tough one. I don't think I'd be offended. I can't stand when people let their kids run around like cave people, but at the same time, kids are kids, ya know? Tough one!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home