GAT'sfamily

Our family: Mom, Dad, 5yr old, 2yr old, and very large, but friendly dog in N. KY

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

This and That

I admit it, I'm a horrible blogger. I'm not even doing my bi-weekly updates. I'll try to not make up for it now by rambling on and on.

First order of business.....ever since I had to switch to the "new" blogger when I sign in it says I have 13 comments to moderate...yet I don't "think" I have it set to moderate, and I can't figure out how to either change it or read them, so I'm not sure if they are new comments I haven't seen or not. Anyone???

I've been thinking too much again lately. I decided that I really need to get a hobby. But not a hobby that requires me to actually follow through on things post planning. See I start projects, and then they just sit and add to the clutter of the house. Hubby is going to be going back to school in the fall, and I need to find a way to occupy myself since I'll have to quit my 2 day a week job. When I get bored I come up with all sorts of crazy ideas (yes we are still going to adopt, just later) so to not drive everyone around me into the loony bin, with Hubby gone all the time and studying, or being with the kids when he's not I need something. I think I'll look into book clubs when (the saving grace for next year) #2 is at school 3 days a week. I've also thought of joining a gym again, but shhh Don't tell hubby!

I was going to join #1 in Taekwondo, after he turns 7 and gets moved up to the older kid/adult class, but since #2 will still be in the little kid class, and hubby may not be around Tues/Thurs nights, that might not work. Speaking of Taekwondo #1 is loving it, and doing pretty well. We had our first "testing" last night. Apparently they move up into the next pseudo belt when they're in the little class regardless of skill (it will still have a white stripe in it). #2 on the other hand. Well he wanders around, chews on the arm of his uniform, picks his nose, got kicked in the face by the instructor (It was an accident, and she felt horrible, but he didn't stay in his square...he did learn to stay in his square now!) you know, 3 year old stuff. The classes are not expensive for him, but we do have to pay a testing fee that is. Testing is every 8 weeks, and way to pricy for #2. I need to see if he can just skip testing days or something. Testing is not mandatory, but the question is how do I pull the wool over his eyes that he's not doing what the other's are.

I only have 2 more months of the Stepford mom's club board member position to wait out YAY! and then I'm free of that mind draining experience. Don't get me wrong, a few of the people are nice, but I'm just in a whole different place in my life then most of them. I'm more concerned about figuring out ways to cut energy expenses, and reusing things we come across, and educating myself about the cultures and conditions that exist in Africa, then the latest sale on clothes, how these size 2 women are "fat" or how the school district is redrawing lines. (My kids already go to the ghetto school, I think it's great).

*warning don't read if you don't want to feel guilty about good things* I will say that I'm remembering why I gave up having a huge social conscience long ago. It's hard. I've convinced myself I need to switch to fair trade coffee when my big can of Greek Nescafe is gone (SOOOOO GOOD, especially cold), rather then having my sister buy me another one this year. This means I'll have to go back to digging out the coffee pot and brewing it. Need to figure out how to make and iced drink with real coffee. And while I don't think I can totally give up chocolate, I am feeling I need to start limiting my consumption and checking out the 1 and only, very small local health food store for fair-trade chocolate, that's certified to not be produced with child slave labor. Times like this I REALLY miss Austin. As I said, I've been thinking too much.

That's a quick update on us. I'll try to not wait a whole month next time :-)

2 Comments:

  • At 10:32 PM, Blogger -E said…

    I think I'm visiting that place too. We're making changes around our casa, but living where we do it's very easy to find support. Good luck!

     
  • At 4:39 PM, Blogger Jenn said…

    thanks for the comment. i totally agree! i have read many many adoption stories and i believe the use of credit is the norm. the director was ridiculous... such a shame.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home