GAT'sfamily

Our family: Mom, Dad, 5yr old, 2yr old, and very large, but friendly dog in N. KY

Thursday, May 17, 2007

I found a hobby

I'm homeschooling the boys....at least for the summer. I'm calling it my experiment. Why you ask? Well right now, in addition to keeping me busy, I'm concerned about #1 forgetting what he learned last year. Plus there are concepts he never really "got" that might be a problem if he doesn't pick it up quickly next year like counting past 29, and sight recognizing number's past 29 (...I know, I know most kids can by now, even #2 is starting to get this). Apparently it's hard to understand that 30 is not 13, and 52 is not 25. So my summer will be spent trying to come up with "units" or themed learning subjects that include counting, number recognition, spelling all colors and number's, and reading all his sight words he knows (he has about 30 in addition to the spelling words). Oh and it has to be doable with a 3 yr old who wants to have "school time" too, and I need to work on his fine motor skills. I'm hoping to have him reading more by the end of the summer too. He's really at a jump off point, and I want to push him off that cliff, mainly so he can read to #2 on vacation this year :-). My goals for #2 is to get him to write his name so it doesn't look like TiT instead of Tim, or better yet, Timothy. It will help if I can get him to hold a pencil properly I think.

In addition to that Hubby and I have been doing a lot of thinking/praying, and we really feel we are suppose to be pursuing adoption right now. Yes he's still going to school next year, and no we don't know how we will pay for it, but I have figured out how we can pay off his tuition yearly (thanks to Uncle Sam's savings account) and I plan to pick up hours this summer to try to pay off the car we need to still buy before fall, leaving us with only Adoption debt to pay for, which we feel if it's meant to be, like we feel it is, the money will come....and we have plenty of credit to our name if it doesn't work out like everyone says it does - lol. On that front if anyone knows me personally and would like to be a reference, and you don't think we're totally crazy after reading this, oh and aren't opposed to interracial adoption, we could still use a couple, and no I don't like to come right out and ask people for references, no matter what. It's too close to accepting compliments, not my strong point. However even if you don't volunteer, that doesn't mean I won't eventually ask ;-) We're planning on sending in our application as soon as we get the fee put together, so another 3 weeks or so.

Let's see what else is new here in KY (hey at least we aren't living in Rabbit Hash anymore!) Oh I think we are going to NYC this summer, well me and the kids with a co-worker of mine. She retired from the airlines and wants to take us, on standby tickets she gets....I'm not getting my hopes up, but it will be WAY cool if it works out. I've always wanted to at least see it, and my mom won't freak as badly as when I planned to go myself, given I'll have a bodyguard, even if she is an older lady, she's a native :-). Other then that it will be our 2 week round trip to NE and MN again, and then school will start up in Aug. I'm still trying to figure more trips out, but we'll have to see. We did make it down to Mammoth Caves for a weekend. If you're ever near Cave City, KY you so have to bring the kids to Dino world. Yes it's overpriced, but not as cheesy as I thought, and the kids are still talking about it 2 weeks later. They liked the cave tour too, but come on it truly can't live up to Dino world, for a 3 and 6 yr old.

Sorry it this is just another ramble, as it seems all I'm capable of lately.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:22 PM, Blogger -E said…

    Wow! That's a pretty big step - adoption, not homeschooling, though that's big too. I'll be praying for y'all in you plan. Good job getting #1 caught up. I'm having to do that a bit with my Boy 1.

     
  • At 2:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Don't stress too much about the learning part over the summer. I thought my girl was going to forget too and she mixed up the numbers as well, but once they get back into the school environment, it all comes back. Have some fun too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home