GAT'sfamily

Our family: Mom, Dad, 5yr old, 2yr old, and very large, but friendly dog in N. KY

Monday, February 13, 2006

"The Home Visit"

Now before you start flaming me from a social perspective, I think this is an awsome idea. Just not from the persepctive of having Ms. Perfect visit my house.

#1 is in public preschool. There are 2 ways to get into public preschool in our district. You either have to be considered low income, or the child must have some sort of a disability, or developmental delay. #1 got in because of his speech, unfortunatly I don't think I'll find anything to get #2 in for but I still might try....Hmm mabey if I teach him the wrong names of colors....Just Kidding, kind of.

Well anyway in our district, part of the preschool program is having the teacher and one of the 2 classroom aids do home visits twice a year. Offical explination is so the teacher's get a better idea of where the child is coming from. I think this is awsome, because not only can the alert CPS if they see a major red flag, it does give them an idea of what type of situation the kids are coming to them from, especially since they've all been flagged as "at risk" for one reason or another.

And today is our day. #1's teacher is one of these put together mommies I've talked about. I always thought it was just because I saw her in a profesional light, but then I saw her when I was working one day. She came in to pick up a few things while her daughter was in dance class. Yup she has a matching workout outfit on, full makeup and a ball cap. Yes she's one of thoese women that looks good in a ball cap. She also get's 20 3,4, and 5yr olds to sit silently through Polar Express, which is a long book. Yes she is an amazing teacher and has all the structure and routine #1 needs.

So not only have I spent the weekend cleaning like a mad women, and been burning candles all day, I'm now trying to figure out how to look like a put together mommy in a natural state. I don't want it to come across as I've primped for her visit, but I also don't want to look too frumpy.

Eeek. One hour to go, I need to go clean and primp....and figure out what things about #1 I want to discuss with her.

5 Comments:

  • At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I always hate those home visits! Thankfully I've been with my Family Service Worker for 6 years now and she knows me well wnough to know I only cleaned for her and that I do wear my slippers all the time, even to pick up #3 from school.

     
  • At 4:36 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Okay, I want one of those leisure outfits. They aren't work outfits-who works out in their makeup? Seriously.

    I would opt for jeans and a t-shirt, put my hair in a ponytail, and maybe have some socks and shoes on. That, to me, is put together.

     
  • At 4:46 PM, Blogger Denise said…

    Hope it went well. I'd be nervous also!

     
  • At 9:59 PM, Blogger Dynila said…

    So... How'd it go?

     
  • At 10:08 PM, Blogger Cheryl said…

    Wow, I think that's a great idea! We will headed down the same road in a couple of years with Kyle. He should qualify for Easter Seals or EIC or whatever it is to get into preschool because of his speech. Hope it all went well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home