GAT'sfamily

Our family: Mom, Dad, 5yr old, 2yr old, and very large, but friendly dog in N. KY

Monday, September 18, 2006

But teacher, my mom stole my homework

Ok, I admit it I really did, I forgot to put the boy's folder in his bag for school today...oops. But while we're one the subject of homework, What is the deal with the amount of learning going on in Kindergarten now days??? #1 has been in school for 4 weeks. We got a note home saying he knows all his letters, counts to 39, recognizes numbers to at least 12, his months of they year, but we still need to work on the days of the week and his phone number (which he does fine with me at home if I let him write it).

He has brought home 5 "color" books he's suppose to know how to read, the words in (memorizing or sounding out the non "color" word), 2 "I Am" books he had to be able to read, his list of words he should know how to read by now is 11 words long (and not all 2-3 letter words) along with being able to spell the colors Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, Orange. They are working on writing all the numbers up to 20 and all their letters.

I have to say I am falling way behind in my commitment on helping him review the stuff he's learning in school. I try to work with him a little every day, but man it's too much for me to stay focused on much less a 5 year old. Luckily he seems to be keeping up, even if his mother isn't able to tread water. Plus I need to get some clay to do some interactive letter projects my sister's suggested to get a jump start on reading. Even though he seems to be doing pretty he has specific words he's having trouble with, so I want to approch them in the method my nephews do to manage their Dyslexia. They also are the basic words like The, Am, etc (But he can spell Orange!)

Other then the amount of information flowing into my house, he seems to be thriving at school. He loves his "speech" classes, and his music classes. I occasionally hear about how the art teacher won't let him paint, and his teacher says no sometimes. So far no new "best" friends, but there is 1 or 2 in the running I think. But the best part of school???? Playing on the playground. And doing his "homework" on the chalkboard we bought for #2's B-day. He actually does much better writing on it, and it helps his memoriztions.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:42 PM, Blogger Candy said…

    Dude, we had our teacher conference yesterday. I haven't posted about it because well, I'm floored by what he's expected to know NOW, much less by the end of the year. We did go to Barnes & Noble and get some first readers to practice with. I need alcohol

     
  • At 11:37 AM, Blogger Sheri & SuZan said…

    It's amazing what our kids are learning in Kindergarten. But, they seem to enjoy it! A bit stressful on the parents however!

     
  • At 2:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Man, the Duckling is almost going to be six by the time kindergarten will take her...I suspect I'll have to get her reading on a 3rd grade level and doing multiplication just to ENTER kindergarten...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home