GAT'sfamily

Our family: Mom, Dad, 5yr old, 2yr old, and very large, but friendly dog in N. KY

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

ADD, IS disordered, language delays, dyslexia, sleep disorders, tactile disfuction, vestibular disfuctions, OT, PT, speech therapy.................

MY HEAD HURTS!!!!!!!!!!
Before I start this post I will say I'm not out to offend anyone, if you're offended I apologize, I don't know much about this stuff, and extreamly confused, and not an expert. This is just my own conclusions I'm starting to come to, and I need to write it all down to sort it out in my mind. However I will very much accept any constructive critisim, and discussion.
A little background. #1 has always been an odd and fairly difficult child. I assumed it was mainly due to his personality, and his known language delays and would improve with school and working with a speech therapist. I also felt he may have some issues dyslexia in the future since his cousin's do, and he has many of the same personality traits as them.
So last week I had a DUH moment. I've been walking around saying I suspect my child will have learning disability's when it dawns on me, DUH he DOES. His language issues are classified as a learning disability which is why he's in the public school system for preschool, and already has an IEP. This realization set me in to mass reading mode, I've made several trips to the library and have read 4 or 5 books on various learning disabilities, oddly enough I still have to find one on Language. I realized that my saying I have to read up on learning disabilities someday, had come and gone. Unfortunately most of them have basically said get ready for the next 12 years of your life and you're child's life to be hell, and a constant battle. I'm now seriously preparing to homeschool if I find it necessary in the future. I refuse to accept this and force my child to learn to hate learning.
The confusion comes because everything has the same dang symptoms and overlaps, so you never really get a clear answer as to what something is. So here's what I think it all means.
ADD/ADHD. I read a book called the ADD solution by Frank Lawles. What I took from the book is a label that for the most part describes a list of behaviors, mainly an inability to focus attention when needed and easy distractability. Many times it has a root cause or causes other then a brain disfunction, such as parenting, sleep patterns, or emotional problems ( I know there were more in the book, just can't think what they were right now) . There are many ways of dealing with the symptoms other then medication, some of which I've had a small amount of experience with growing up with a "crunchy" aunt who rubbed off on my mom. Some of the ones I found most interesting include exercise, biofeedback(relaxation techniques that are medically measured), changes in parenting styles, behavior modification therapy, proper nutrition, and allergies. After reading 2 of the books there would have to be some MAJOR contradicting research to ever make me put my child on an ADHD medication. It seems to me they can cause more problems, including depression, then they solve. Not to mention most are either methanphetamines or a close cousin to methanphetamines, and they will usually stop working as the child becomes a teenager (anyone want to guess why Ex is such a problem in our country??????). I really don't think #1 is ADD, but think it's only time if we don't figure something else before a teacher wants to label him as this. We are working on some of the relaxation techniques in the book.
Sensory Integration Disorders. Basically anything is off kilter with you're kid and they'll fit into the symptoms of this, but may not have it. Like easily distracted (sounds like ADD to me), craving touch, not liking touch, craving some, but disliking others, being a daredevil, being a scared child etc, etc, etc. There are 3 basic area's and #1 shows a lot of the symptoms for 2 of them. Many he would have a year ago but has outgrown recently. The therapy for this is occupational Therapy, most of the things the book (The Out of synch Child) said to do with #1 are things he does already, and activities he has at school. This can be closely related to Language (not speech) disorders. It also says it's perfectly in line for a child to act one way at school or home and be the complete opposite the other place, and #1's teacher thinks he's a joy to have in class, and an angle so we know that's #1.
Speaking of Speech and Language problems. Speech is the way a child says words, Language is understanding (not hearing) correctly and replying correctly when communicating. We know #1 has a Language problem, but not speech. I don't know why, or how come. After reading a few generic L.D. books I came across Auditory Processing Disorder, Hm. Sounds like it could cause Language problems but the book didn't say this.....Coud he have that as a problem? If so there's been a lot of promise shown with various computer games.
Dyslexia. My oldest nephew is dyslexic, and has gone through a program come up with by a guy who was diagnosed as both Austistic and dyslexic as a child and thought himself how to learn. My nephew had huge success with it. His reading level jumped 2 grades, and his report cards have gone from C's, and D's with a few F's to B's and C's with a few A's. I read the book by this guy Davis a few years ago it's "The Gift of Dyslexia". He also has a preschool home kit I will get from my other sister who's son is showing early signs (they can't test till 2nd grade), or order it this summer. Basically what he says is that people with dyslexia have a "third eye" that is not in a fixed position and can move, go around corners, letters in the book etc. His method is learning how to make it stay put. He also talks about things like seeing an energy dial, which my nephew does, and he can dial it up or down depending on the situation. Before learning to move his dial it would make concentration hard (Sounds like add again) if it was up at school, or sports difficult if it was down while on the hockey rink. After reading the Sensory book, I see a lot of that stuff in my nephew, like not being able to eat food with different textures
So, I think I have a plan. I have #1's IEP meeting in a couple weeks. I need to go get a book on Language disabilities so I can have half a clue of what I'm talking about on the one issue I know he has. I will also need to re-read parts of the SI book and take notes on what I'm comparing #1 too. At the meeting I need to bring this up and ask for an O.T. evaluation to see if it's on the radar screen. I was told that if they won't do it I shouldn't sign the paper work. I will not mention or muddy the waters with ADD since I don't' think it's the problem and I don't want to put it in their heads, or the dyslexia since hopefully working with him this summer will prevent any future reading difficulties, which is the basic definition of dyslexia. And I need to ask them about his writing. They've sent home paper for him to practice on with a note which makes me think they don't think we do practice his name almost every day, and if he's not improving on that,
that may be an issue to address as well, or add to my thought of SI disorder.
Things I need to do, but not bring up at the meeting are work with #1 on relaxation techniques and make sure he's getting plenty of exercise. I already signed him up for sports this summer. I also need to talk to my sister and see if I will need to buy the kit and if so order it.

9 Comments:

  • At 9:16 AM, Blogger Denise said…

    OK, my head is spinning but I have a lot of thoughts. My niece and nephew are both on ADD meds and I have issues w/ that for sure....
    Spencer has issues w/ fine motor skills and couldn't write his name until he was in Kinder. You may look up ways to work on fine motor skills and do THAT instead of the writing practice. It really helped us.
    Sensory issues - we've been told by lots of people Spencer show symptoms of this. We do some of the "exercises," in that book off and on and they seem to help. Not all school districts recognize it as a disability...
    I've heard great things about the dyslexia program thru Scottish Rite...

     
  • At 1:41 PM, Blogger Dynila said…

    *hugs* It's a lot to deal with. My half-bro is dyslexic, so we're on the watch for it at our house, too.

    Hope to hear more about your IEP since the pedi wants us to get J in special services for her feet. Be nice to know someone else buckin' the system.

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger Lucky Lum said…

    Ooooh, I like the idea of relaxation techniques!
    As a teacher it was often frustrating trying to reach these children with ADD/HD and other overlapping problems...
    What I know is that meds alone will not work, you must work use a combination of techniques and behaviors.
    I can tell you have put a lot of effort, time, and thought into this matter. And even if the books contradict each other, you will have a vast knowlegde and many tools to use with #1!!
    I think you are doing the best thing for him by educating yourself!

    Big hugs)))

     
  • At 11:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I mentioned my concerns about Nico to the pedi and got a referal to OT. He was evaluated and needed services but it was 20 bucks a pop once a week for 28 wks. and we couldn't afford it.

    Do you have the Easter Seals out there? They do in-home evaluations for therapy. Or the United Way might know some sources.

    Good luck!

     
  • At 11:53 PM, Blogger -E said…

    I would not have pegged #1 for SID, but it's been awhile since I've been around him. I've come across is several times in teaching and just kids around me. I think I might be more aware of it because of my exposure to little ones. OT is the best thing for him and you. You just need new tools and a primer on how to use them. It'll be challenging, but I know you can do it!

     
  • At 1:32 AM, Blogger Tom said…

    Sounds like your on the right track! ADD is just a "catch all" these days, and studies show the drugs don't work.

    As for the Dyslexia, just keep an eye out for it. I went un-diagnosed all through school, but still turned out pretty ok;o) (unless you ask candy of course).

     
  • At 2:04 AM, Blogger TheStolenOlive said…

    While teaching high school I had quite a few kids who carted around their own laptop to each class.

    Laptops and keyboards/typewriters seem to be a good way to help with Dyslexia since it forces them to look at the directions the letters are facing on the keys.

    Just a thought.

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Blogger Me said…

    ... the whole personality thing, restlessness, ability to concentrate, easily distracted thing is a huge 'boy' and 'normal kid' issue in general. Our current society is just jumping on the latest bandwagon and diagnosing 'disorders' all over the place and pumping chemicals into the kids instead of a lot of patience, teaching them how to work things out themselves and how to deal with different learning styles.

    I've always said that if my son had been born to another family they would have doped him up and called it ADD or ADHD. Thankfully he was born to me... and is learning how to deal with the fact he is 95% kinesthetic learner with almost zero of the other 2/3 styles.

    JMO of course. But, it's still America and I'm entitled. LOL.

     
  • At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Liz here from I Speak of Dreams. I'm writing a post on IEP Season and ran across your blog.

    First, don't waste time and money on the Davis Dyslexia stuff. It isn't research proven and has a very poor underpinning. There's no evidence that "dyslexics think in pictures."

    If you want a research-based book, get Sally Shaywitz's "Overcoming Dyslexia"
    ISBN 0679781595 (paperback).

    Second, dyslexia can be tested for much before 2nd grade. A child's phonemic awareness can be assessed using several instruments. TOPA-2+ is one; it is nationally normed for kids 5 through 8 years.

    Here's an excellent guide to phonemic awareness and its role in reading.

    http://www.kidsource.com/kidsource/content2/phoemic.p.k12.4.html

    Many people think that VERY early intervention in phonemic awareness will help kids with mild dyslexia be virtually unaffected.

    An excellent online resource (and a source of a parent-based tutoring program) is Susan Barton's Bright Solutions for Dyslexia.

    http://www.dys-add.com/

    The Barton Reading System
    http://www.bartonreading.com/

    It is getting rave reviews from parents at Schwab Learning (another great resource)

    http://www.schwablearning.org/

    You might find the book, "Quirky Kids" (by two pediatricians) really helpful. ISBN 0345451430.

    Since you like the "energy dial" image, you will find Mel Levine, M.D.'s, work very rewarding. I suggest starting with "A Mind at A Time" ISBN0 743202228. He has a host of excellent suggestions. There's also a website,

    http://www.allkindsofminds.org/

    Well, that is just my two cents.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home