GAT'sfamily

Our family: Mom, Dad, 5yr old, 2yr old, and very large, but friendly dog in N. KY

Thursday, May 11, 2006

School Update

IEP Meeting
We had #1's IEP (Individualized Education Plan for special ed students for those not in the know) meeting today to transition him to Kindergarten. Basically the teacher see's no developmental delays, including social, for him to continue to have a IEP in that area. She said I looked like I felt uncomfortable with that idea, and to some degree I am. I guess it comes down to the fact that I'm concerned about his fine motor skills and social skills I see at home. However if he's able to conduct himself on the level of the class in these area's then he probably doesn't need the IEP for school. He will still have an IEP for language, and be under the special ed umbrella, so that if problems arise next year we can be on top of it. Also to continue an IEP into Kindergarten for these area's he'd have to have a full evaluation, which I'm at a point I think would be a good idea, so while it would once again take 2 months to re-do an IEP in social and developmental area's next year, It would be with a better idea of exactly what his issues are. I'm not convinced they're gone, myself, just not apparent in the preschool setting.

The speech pathologist's evaluation however was right on with what I'm feeling. She gave me idea's on things to do with him this summer, and the more she talked the more I was able understand what I've been reading about language delays in a way that applies to #1. Also I asked her if she felt it could be an auditory disorder the way she was speaking, and she suggested waiting to see how he does next year and if he continues to have problem's she might suggest screening for one in 1st grade. I do know those tend to not be done as readily because they are expensive.

I don't think the counselor likes me however. At both meetings I get the feeling she thinks most of his issues are a direct result of our parenting, because he's good at school (hey if they are I'm the FIRST person who's open to new ideas on how to manage his behavior). When I brought up #1's 2 days this year he refused to go to school she had a strange look on her face and later commented on how we have to be very consistent, and let him know who's in charge. Um yeah lady, we are extremely consistent in our discipline strategies, and while I fully agree with letting him know who's in charge, when you take that stance with him it turns into a power struggle, which is why I have so many problem's parenting #1. See my natural response to #1 not going to school would have been to "make him" kicking and screaming, but really what good would that have done. By letting him stay home and find out how boring a day with mom really is he eventually told us what was bothering him in the first place (friend issues) and happily went the next day with a plan on how to resolve the friend issue. At least both the teacher said she saw his temper twice and now see's what I'm talking about, and the speech pathologist said her daughter was always the same way and still is at 21.

The Tea Party
After the IEP meeting I went and wandered through Hobby Lobby until it was time to go back to school for the Mother's day Tea Party DS's class was having. It was SO CUTE, I wish I'd have remembered to bring my camera. I always forget my camera for this stuff. The kids all sang a couple songs for us, and then we sat at the tables with our kids and drank tea, punch, and ate cookies and mini muffins. They made flower pots with flowers in it for us and also placemat with fill in the blank questions about their mom's. Plus I got coupons saying he will make his bed, get ready for bed when I ask without help, and give me a hug for no reason.

Here's what my placemat says...#1 filled in the bold words.

My mom is 2 feet tall. Her favorite color is purple and she likes to wear dresses. My mom is 47 years old and she weighs 40 pounds. Her favorite food is Ice Cream. When we are together we like to have fun and play special time. My mom is very special to me because she's great.

I suppose I can handle being 47 if I'm only 40lbs LOL

Oh and before they sang their songs, #1 interpreted the class to tell his teacher "sometimes I take showers with my daddy" Yup that's my boy!

4 Comments:

  • At 1:54 PM, Blogger Kami said…

    40 pounds, huh?

    Our tea is tomorrow! I can't wait.

    Dude. Hellions, I mean kids, are always better at school, or anywhere their parents AREN'T. Ya know?

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger Candy said…

    40 pounds, wow Beth, I'm worried about you... ;)

    Dude, my kids are ANGELS for everyone else... freaking false advertising.

     
  • At 10:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    That is so funny! 40 pounds....all we got was a muffin. NO tea! That sucks!

     
  • At 3:20 PM, Blogger Sheri & SuZan said…

    LOL...what a sweetheart (personally I like the 40 lbs, hehehe).

    If that counselor really feels that way she needs to get a new job. That is horrible and she has no right. Sounds like he is doing good and his teacher isn't the major influence...it is you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home