GAT'sfamily

Our family: Mom, Dad, 5yr old, 2yr old, and very large, but friendly dog in N. KY

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Ultimatum

I'm usually not a huge fan of them, but I gave Hubby one this weekend, well kind of.

Background info is hubby dislikes his job, and has for oh I don't know, how long have I known him? 9 years? And any time I push for him to find something he'd actually LIKE doing I get the resistance of "it's not practical, we don't have the money, etc, etc, etc,".

So I told him that practicality aside he now has 3 choices.

1) Live with his current job for the next 5-6 years it would take for me to be able to get through school, get a master's and support us. Then he can become the parent that while maybe working PT is more responsible for home stuff and school stuff with the kids. (For us, I don't see it working well for both of us to have "career's" until our kids are out of the house.)

2)He can go back to school, switch major's and probably have the skills, and an actual bachelor's degree, needed for a job he would like in 2-3 years, at which time I will plan on at least finishing my bachelor's, but will still be the main "at home" parent.

or

3) Tell me he loves his job and I'm misconstruing the facts.


He flat out told me it wasn't #3, so it looks like one of us needs to do something, and if he doesn't enroll in school, and look into student loans and finacial aid for next winter, I will be. And once I start school he probably will be stuck till I finish.

See for me, I really don't care which of the paths he decide's he'd like to take. I have (I think) finally narrowed down what I want to be when I grow up to 3 main choices, and no matter what he decides I can make one of them fit.

My first option is a more traditional route. I would probably get a bachelor's in education with the intention of continuing on to a master's in special ed and speech pathology. Giving me the flexibility to stop after a bachelor's and teach, allowing me summer's off with the kids (also an option if I do speech pathology within the schools). The second thing I see myself enjoying and eventually being able to make a career out of is something to do with construction, and home building, flipping, etc. I haven't completely figured out what or how to get into this, but I plan on starting to learn more about it this summer, on a volunteer basis. And the third option you ask? To simply do what I've been doing the last 5 years, be a SAHM, try to continue to learn how to be a housewife (Yes I still suck at that part) , squeeze the budget till it hurts, and become crafty.

Actually it's nice to know I think I've finally narrowed it down. Does that mean I'm really an adult now? I may even make my final decision before my personally imposed deadline of 30, which is only 6 months away.

6 Comments:

  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger Me said…

    Oooo this sounds precariously close to the conversation between Kristy and Jake on "She's Having a Baby". AND incidently of course I just got a second copy of the movie for Mother's Day 2 days ago. Hmmmmm.


    My bet is that your dh does what Jake did. :)

     
  • At 12:15 AM, Blogger -E said…

    It may be hard, but it might make more sense for him to finish up his education first. Look to see if his company has tuition reimbursement. Also the online schools make it very easy to take classes now adays. Good luck! Tough decision. We've had this conversation before and Papa ended up changing his career path. -E

     
  • At 2:49 AM, Blogger Val said…

    Good luck, I finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up at 32. I graduate on Friday! lol

    Same thing I wanted to deal in before I dropped out of college, I just didn't really know enough about it all to find it. I'll be a certified personal trainer making my own hours so I can still be home with the kids. Then I will help to coach at the Jr. Highs soon.

     
  • At 11:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Those sound like good options. Good luck on the decision making.

     
  • At 3:15 AM, Blogger Candy said…

    Tom is enrolled in the University of Phoenix and it's actually a really good program... all done via internet.

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Blogger Lucky Lum said…

    You are being the adult
    and I think you're ideas are smart

     

Post a Comment

<< Home